“Being in the Sports Academy has
made me better at managing my time.
I am much fitter and more motivated
and focused on my goals.”
The Freyberg Sports Academy provides a special programme for elite sports persons. Entry into the Academy is by special application. Past students have achieved at both national and international level.
How it works
To be accepted into the Sports Academy, students must demonstrate a desire to succeed in their chosen field and have an excellent attitude towards school.
The Academy becomes one of the student’s timetabled subjects, and vertical whanau class. The academy provides it’s members with a tailored Individual Education Programme and also focuses on Sport Science, Testing and Conditioning, and Sport Specific Practice.
The Academy will not: increase workload or pressure on members, but will help them provide a balance between their sporting, academic and family commitments.
Features of the Sports Academy:
- A nationally and internationally recognised athletics, speed and fitness coach.
- Spacious sports facilities and grounds (Heated indoor pool, Weights room and Gym)
- Individual training programmes for each student.
- Access to elite coaching and motivation in consultation with the student’s own sports coaches.
- On-going monitoring and testing of fitness levels.
We will offer academy members an holistic academic and sporting programme that will enable each individual to excel in their chosen sport or discipline, continue their social and cultural development, while still achieving to their full potential in their academic studies.