Junior School Curriculum
Students in Years 9 and 10 take English, Social Studies, Information Technology, Mathematics, Science, Physical Education and Health Studies and choose either 4 (Year 9) or 2 (Year 10) options from a range of other subjects.
Senior School Curriculum
Senior students have a much wider choice of 5 or 6 subjects from a set of 35 options offered in the senior school. The options cover…
- Languages: Spanish, Japanese, English, Maori and ESOL.
- Sciences: Mathematics (Calculas and Statistics), Biology, Chemistry, Physics.
- Humanities: Social Sciences, Tourism, Geography, History and Classical Studies.
- Health: Physical Education, Health Studies, Sport and Recreation.
- Arts: Music, Dance, Drama, Art, Design, Painting, Art History and Photography.
- Practical Subjects: Food & Nutrition, Computer Science, Graphics and Hard Materials Technology.
- Commerce: Text Information Management, Economics and Business Studies.
New Zealand Qualifications
New Zealand’s qualification system (NCEA) is gaining international recognition as a world leader in standards based assessment. Senior Students undertake a mixture of “Internal” assessments throughout the year and “External” Examinations at the end of the year all for a set number of credits.
By international agreement, the New Zealand Qualifications Authority ensures that New Zealand qualifications are transferable to the United Kingdom, United States, Australia and Canada.
- NCEA Level 1 – Year 11
- NCEA Level 2 – Year 12
- NCEA Level 3 – Year 13
Students have opportunities to participate in several field trips which take them to places like:
- Waitomo Caves – Rock climbing and caving.
- Tongariro trip – tramping, plant and land-form studies, and skiing.
- Local Marae – Native Māori cultural experience including cultural food, song and crafts.
- Kiwi Summer Holiday Trip, Rotorua – water skiing, boating, swimming, tramping – a classic NZ holiday.
- Rock Climbing trip
- Horse Riding – at various times throughout the year at Te Apiti.
- Plus much more! Contact us for more details.