This centre caters for a wide range of students working on individual programmes. ILC is used by hundreds of students each year, including:
- Correspondence students studying subjects not currently offered by Freyberg High School. These include very able students and also students with particular subject interests
- Students needing to complete missed assessments
- Students with learning difficulties
- Students working on improving their behaviour
- New students under-going tests to determine class placement
ILC has specialist teaching staff, supported by a competent team of associate staff who assist students to meet their individual social and educational goals.